If You've Experienced a Flood and Need to Contact a Restoration Company

First, let's go over a quick primer on what mold is. All molds are fungi, just like mushrooms and athlete's foot, for example. The mold that is toxic to you and your family is rare in the fungi kingdom, meaning most kinds aren't harmful. However, some molds are dangerous, so any mold you find indoors must be mitigated and completely removed.

Government experts recommend that you reach out to a black mold removal service Westboro, MA company for help if the mold growth takes up more than about 3 square feet. When you see any sizable amount of mold growth, though, it's a good idea to call for cleanup assistance from professional mold removal services. Certified technicians can help you make sure there is no hidden mold in other spots around the house using tools such as temperature sensors, moisture detectors and more.

Before you contact mold damage repair technicians, the first step is to stop the mold from growing. Do this by turning off any HVAC systems. Then, work to halt the moisture source that brought the mold in the first place. For example, fix leaky faucets or dry out standing water if you can. The next step is to contain the problem in as small an area as possible. You could tape off the area in question with disposable tarps, for instance.

Now, figure out whether to get professional help. Think about not only the damaged area, but also any exacerbating health issues you have. People who already struggle to breathe, for instance, should avoid mold mitigation activities.

Once you've made the decision, there are important steps to take. To complete the cleanup yourself, gather supplies such as long mold-approved gloves, coveralls and a mold-safe mask and a pair of goggles. You might also need something to trap mold from reaching the floor and a saw to cut out and replace drywall, if that's where you found the mold. Mold removal specialists agree that you should not leave moldy and unpainted drywall anywhere you find it because it can't be cleaned well enough. A note on cleaning with bleach: Skip it. Any bleach doesn't work as well other detergents and often doesn't kill mold growth and all its spores completely. Bleach-based cleaners also puts off toxic fumes, particularly if it's ever mixed with substances such as Windex, which contains ammonia. Ask for better alternatives at the hardware store.

If you're concerned enough about mold problems to research, you need a professional mold removal service. For example, don't hire a mitigation service focused on humid areas.

Before you schedule an appointment with any company, make sure that they are licensed and registered properly and that they are approved by watchdogs such as the Restoration Industry Association, the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration and Contractor Connection.

You should clean up any fungal growth you find to prevent further toxicity risk, and do it now. If not, parasitic fungi will continue to feast on your structure and will destroy your things. Some types of mold, those that release toxic spores, can also cause major health risks ranging from neurological damage to respiratory and mold-related illnesses and generally poor health. Mold in the environment can be particularly harmful to babies and kinds

The smartest way to solve your mold problem is to get professional mold removal assistance. Don't wait another minute.